Author Topic: IOS demos  (Read 5003 times)

szigetir

IOS demos
« on: December 22, 2010, 10:01:43 PM »
 No ios demos? I have ipad.

Ottobot

Re: IOS demos
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 10:26:34 PM »
Good point. After all Brian you said so yourself in your game programming guide...

"The single most important thing you can do to market your game is to release a demo. People don’t like to shell out hard earned money for something they’ve never seen, so a free demo is the best selling gimmick you can do, and they’re easy to make."

Are the rules different for the iOS?

Brian Greenstone, CEO Pangea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 10:28:13 PM »
We tried doing some demos a while back, but it didn't really work for us.  The Enigmo demo was break-even.  It didn't hurt or help sales, but the Otto Matic demo was a disaster as it totally killed sales of the full app.  The problem was most like that a single level of Otto was just too big so people didn't feel like buying the full thing.

It would be nice if there was a way to do a Nanosaur 2 demo such that it would really entice people to buy the full version, but I think even if we just put 1 battle level in there and 1 adventure level that would be too much.  

-Brian

Ottobot

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 10:37:56 PM »
Have you ever considered constructing "mini levels" specifically for demo apps? For example, in Otto Matic you could cut the Bentley Farm level in half by removing some of the terrain and getting rid of the mutant vegetables to avoid spoiling stuff. Or would that take too much time?

Brian Greenstone, CEO Pangea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 07:32:35 AM »
Too much trouble to do that.  If the demos helped sales then it might make sense, but since they don't benefit us at all...

-Brian

aaronptrck

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 11:45:36 AM »
I'm sure Brian can relate: Demos aren't created by simply deleting code. You can't just delete code and create a mini game out of it. It takes a great deal of time to cut out a specific part of a program to ensure the user doesn't go beyond the parameters of the demo.

Ottobot

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 12:28:30 PM »
Yeah, that's what I thought.

If anything, the most feasible way to approach the demo issue would be to show a video preview, and we already have some of those: http://www.pangeasoft.net/iphone/behindthescenes.html

szigetir

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 11:51:43 PM »
It,'s that chauvinistic attitude. I ain't buying a game i haven't tried yet. And call ios gamrs /ios/ not /iphone/.

fernandovalente

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 09:42:09 AM »
If the iOS demos expired, it would be much better for developers, but it won't. :(