Poll

Based on first impression - what are your favorite maps?

Mars Base
Mars Canyons
Martian Dusk
The Forest
The Pit
The Ruins
Deathmatch
Ice Fortress
Ice Rink
Lunar Plateau
Craterville
Moon Base
Moon Maze

Author Topic: What have been your Favorite Maps?  (Read 1757 times)

G122061810

What have been your Favorite Maps?
« on: March 02, 2013, 09:39:22 AM »
Now that the game is public and everyone has a few games (or tutorials) under their belts, curious what your initial favorite rooms are.

By the way, the maps as they are now really have undergone a lot of changes and tweaks from when the beta testers started working with them.

For example.
1)  Mars Canyons - in some of those side rooms, one of the outcropping rocks was much bigger and harder to get around without crashing
2)  Moon Base - you used to not be able to fly over the green force field barriers (even though it looked like you could) along the perimeter.  Additionally, the 'antenna' looking things on that same level near the bases and at the top of other 'buildings' used to kill you when you crashed into them.  Now they simply damage you like the flowers or grass did in the original AirWings.  Also, the weapons located near the perimeter were higher, making it even more difficult to get them without crashing.
3)  Craterville - used to not have any health in it
4)  Lunar Plateau (or one of the other moon ones) - used to not be able to fly over the green forcefields.  Also, the weapons located near the docking base were higher - so you would crash more often trying to get weapons.
5)  The Forest - used to be more 'foresty' - even harder to get around without crashing.

...and LOTS of other tweaks and changes. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 05:13:41 AM by ~Galactibasher~ »

3 SQN Gladiators

Re: First impressions - Favorite Maps
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 10:38:19 AM »
So far for myself I like the twists & turns of the Forest, plenty of ammo & things to duck behind when under fire

I also like the high & low levels of Craterville, nice wide open spaces, so you can let rip with the Laser from across the room

tomwoods99

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 02:29:48 PM »
Way too early for me to know . . . but what I can say is that I have yet to play a room that I just don't like at all, which is how I felt about the Maze right away w/AW (the lack of weapons or wind in the Maze, over-abundance of health coins, & back then there was no stalemate timer & it wasn't uncommon for games to take 1/2 hour in the Maze & then have people just flake in the end anyway if they were losing, AND when they did you didn't get ANY of the points for the game, either, when they flaked back then & points mattered to me just starting out then).

Some of the rooms seem to be a bit bigger in AWI & might lead to longer games that drag on, but so far that hasn't been an issue as I learn the game.  The rooms have definitely benefited from what Brian learned making AW.  Like the new Death Match Room in AWI vs the Death Match Room in AW, for example.

G122061810

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 09:43:46 PM »
So far for myself I like the twists & turns of the Forest, plenty of ammo & things to duck behind when under fire

I also like the high & low levels of Craterville, nice wide open spaces, so you can let rip with the Laser from across the room

Yeah, as you and i have discussed, and for the reason you and Tom just mentioned regarding locking on with the laser from across the map, those are the reasons I dislike the wide open Lunar maps (well, don't dislike, as I like all the maps, but those are my least favorite).