Author Topic: Pangea Arcade is FREE  (Read 27432 times)

Brian Greenstone, CEO Pangea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Pangea Arcade is FREE
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2011, 12:41:55 PM »
did reboot. no change  ???

Hmm... try deleting the Pangea Arcade Preferences folder to reset everything and then try again.

-Brian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Installing Updater?
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2011, 12:44:12 PM »
I happily downloaded this excellent trio of time waste...er, that is, games and am enjoying them completely. There was, though, a notification that a new version (1.0.8) is available from the website. I downloaded it, tried to launch it, and it's asking for a serial number. Since I download a free version from the App Store I didn't get a serial number. I still have the old version (1..0.7) on my computer which seems to work fine. I tried replacing the old version with the new one, but it tells me I don't have enough permission to do that, or some such thing. Is there some trick I should know about installing the new version? Thanks in advance for any help, and of course thanks in retrospect for making this game available in the first place!

It sounds like you're trying to mix the App Store version with our web version.  If you buy it on the Mac App Store then all updates must go thru the Mac App Store.  You cannot download updates from our web site as they won't work unless you bought it on our web site.  That's actually one good reason to always buy from any developers web site instead of the app store - updates will always be available on the developer's page first since Apple takes so long to approve updates.

-Brian

Wheelz

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2011, 12:04:26 PM »
did reboot. no change  ???

Hmm... try deleting the Pangea Arcade Preferences folder to reset everything and then try again.

-Brian
Where do I find this folder?
I'm getting to the screen on each game with all the green "000000000"'s and nothing happens. Hit any key and it drops back to the arcade menu.
(Running on MB Pro OSX 10.6.6)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2011, 12:06:30 PM »
The Pangea Arcade Preferences folder is in your Preferences folder.   user/library/preferences

-Brian

Wheelz

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2011, 05:01:28 PM »
Thanks.

I'll try that when I get home from work.

Wheelz

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2011, 11:05:31 PM »
Hmm... that didn't work.

I also tried it on my iMac, same problem.
I downloaded it from the App Store.
I also tried downloading the demo from your website but same issue.

Wheelz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2011, 11:22:35 PM »
It kinda sounds like you're going to the high scores screen and not actually starting the game.  The red button below the game icons is for the high scores.  You click the icons to start the games.

-Brian

Wheelz

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2011, 11:37:21 PM »
Ha!

I feel so special now.  :-[

I thought the red buttons were to start it.

As you were everybody, I've taken my meds.

Wheelz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2011, 07:42:57 AM »
Well, in the days after Pangea Arcade went back to a paid app our sales of other Mac app store apps dropped significantly.  Could be coincidence, or it could have been that Pangea Arcade was creating a huge halo effect.  So, I've made Pangea Arcade free again to see what happens.  If our sales go way back up then obviously it means having a popular free app is a very good thing and I'll leave it free forever.

-Brian

Wheelz

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2011, 11:23:52 AM »
I think you'll find this to be the case.
It will be no different to supermarkets and grocery stores where they will have special sales (often below cost). These are "sacrificial products" which lure customers to the store are expose them to the other isles.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2011, 11:36:03 AM »
Yeah, I always figured there was at least some halo, but it was hard to say how much.  I mean we were doing 25,000+ downloads of Arcade every day, yet our total Mac sales were a few hundred units, and we were doing that prior to Arcade going free.  My estimate at the time was that only 1 in 500 people who got Arcade for free then bought something, but it may have been a little better.

-Brian

Muel

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2011, 02:36:49 AM »
I got Arcade free and then went on to get 3 more paid games, but I may have bought them anyway, a belated well done on getting to number one position.

Fordcars123

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2012, 11:57:53 AM »
But it would be easily done! He would just need to use the game engine from Bugdom 2 and use the same models, texture, sound etc!