Author Topic: Compiling code samples from "Pangea Software’s Ultimate Game Programming Guide"  (Read 4113 times)

hazelden

Hi.

When I try to compile the Chapter 14 Anaglyph Stereo Rendering sample code from the "Pangea Software’s Ultimate Game Programming Guide" book I get two errors.

The first is OpenAL/alut.h: No such file or directory
The 2nd is Expected specifier-qualifier-list before 'vector'

From what I have read after searching on Google it looks like alut was split from OpenAL and there doesn't appear to be a pre-compiled framework of freealut for Mac OS X.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could get this example to compile on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard?

Thanks,
Andrew Hazelden

Brian Greenstone, CEO Pangea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
That sample code was originally written for OS 10.4 and Apple changed some stuff since then.  I need to update the sample code.  If I have time later today I'll see if I can find the proper solutions to fix those issues for you.

-Brian

leonifan

That sample code was originally written for OS 10.4 and Apple changed some stuff since then.  I need to update the sample code.  If I have time later today I'll see if I can find the proper solutions to fix those issues for you.

-Brian

Hi Brian,

I too would greatly appreciate a fix for those issues (the vector problem also affects the earlier Maths Optimizations sample).

Thanks!

leonifan

Okay, looks like the vector problem is down to lack of altivec support (I am on Intel arch here).

I simply replaced the union with a struct:

typedef struct
{
   GLfloat   value[16];
//   vector float v[4];
}OGLMatrix4x4;

and commented out the functions that needed the vector form (since they were all altivec versions).

Next, this left a usage of __frsqrte() to remove, so I tried using:

_mm_store_ss( & isqrt, _mm_rsqrt_ss( _mm_load_ss( & len ) ) );  // this uses SSE extensions, instead of altivec

instead of:

isqrt = __frsqrte (len);   

This seems to work for me, but I have no doubt there is a nicer (cross platform) solution..? (And since this is my first time playing with such optimisations, it may also be a bit wrong..? ;))

Apologies if I have made any errors here... be gentle ;)