Author Topic: Pangea Games and Myself  (Read 4357 times)

Ziggy

Pangea Games and Myself
« on: December 27, 2010, 01:25:56 AM »
Hello.
I'd like to start by saying that Pangea is was got me into gaming, and for that matter, computers.
When I was 3 or 4, my parents owned a Macintosh G3. It meant pretty much nothing to me until I found the Bugdom Demo downloaded onto it from a Macworld CD. I'll try to make this as unstrange as possible. As a small child, I would obsess over some weird things, but the very first obsession was no doubt Bugdom. To put things into perspective, I once had a dream that I had discovered some hidden part of the demo level where the ants were running along treadmills, and I had to knock them off. I remember sitting at that slow computer moving Rollie around in the demo and kicking ants before I could even read, so when my parents actually bought the game, I was no doubt delighted. The first time I had made it past the sunny levels, I had just entered kindergarden I believe. I made it to the part of level 3 where you encountered the water bug. For days I would turn on the level, only to stare at the yellow creature without knowing what it was there for. All I knew was that going any further led to an inevitable death, which for a 5 year old was terrifying. When I finally did learn that it took a token, I remember announcing to my parents that I had solved the puzzle of the game. I hopped on the back of the water taxi, and screamed as it made that annoying loud noise. I can't remember if I cried, but I do remember asking my dad to beat that level for me because I was too scared. When I finally got around to playing the fourth level, I would always play to the first dragon fly before quitting the game because I was too terrified of the bat. I had many nightmares where bats would eat me for flying after going through that level. I woke up one morning to find that my dad had beaten level 4 and 5, and I was relieved knowing that I could continue the adventure game I had been slowing beating for months. At that age, I determined that when I grew up, I was going to make Bugdom 2. I would sit an draw screen shots of a Rollie Pollie running through a toy room. That is how Bugdom went for me. I would play a level for a week or two before finally beating it and moving on to the next terrifying world
        Many Pangea games were like this. In 2001, I asked Santa for Otto Matic (why was there never a sequel?) after playing and beating the demo countless times. It was much like Bugdom, in the sense that arriving in a new world terrified me. Level 4, on "Planet Knarr" (I believe that's the spelling) left me incredibly scared after encountering what I described as "flying string rays." This game also took me months to beat, as I would slowly move along, planet after planet, discovering what lied in every corner. When Otto Matic came out, I was learning how to write. In 1st grade, I would write paper books about Otto Matic defeating monsters from other planets, complete with colored illustrations. I believe I still have some of those "books" which were made of incredibly cheap thin paper which was stapled or taped together.
         I spent all my time while playing these games, rather than trying to beat them, exploring. As pathetic as this sounds, games like Bugdom, Mighty Mike, and Otto Matic really opened my eyes to hidden worlds. Little nooks hidden behind fake walls or tall grass to older gamers would simply be an over looked area, but to me they were an unexplored amazing place. I could go on even longer than I have already about every game and how it affected the mind of a 6 year old, but I'll sum it up for you instead. I played these games so much, that I can sing every tune to probably every level of Bugdom, Cro Mag Rally, Mighty Mike, Nanosaur, and Otto Matic. If I thought hard enough, I'm sure I could play every level through my head, even though I hadn't played any of these games for years. The reason I'm writing this is because I found that Otto Matic could be downloaded onto my new iPod touch, and playing it brought back a whole ton of memories.
          I suppose this message is primarily for Brian Greenstone (Whose name has been etched into my brain from reading it so many times in the credits), but it definitely applies to anyone who worked on these amazing games. These games were a big part of my childhood, and I thank you for making them. Since this is a forum, I suppose I'll ask a simple question to whoever reads this: Which Pangea game was your favorite and why?

PS: I just remembered one time where my parents took me to Austin, Texas where I was born for vacation with family. I remember asking them if we could go to Pangea where the games were made, but sadly the game factory I had in mind was non existent.

szigetir

Re: Pangea Games and Myself
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 10:10:24 PM »
Bugdom 2.
I got tired of it though.
And i played thr free demo of ottomatic so i wouldn't have to buy it.

earlw

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 01:13:51 AM »
Original Nanosaur (and to a lesser extent Bugdom) on an iMac.  The first video games my wife enjoyed with me.  Double-jump off the peaks for max weapons!  ;D

Big thanks to Brian for all the work he and his team have put in over the years, not just into the graphics engine and games but the musical scores as well.

Tell your friends and write reviews on the iTunes Store!

Westernden

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 08:46:31 AM »
When you think about it, Bugdom 1 is a great first video game to play. It introduces you to running, special abilities, health, points, invincibility, enemies, swimming, fighting, allies, bosses, different levels and hazards.

These are key features in most videogames.

fernandovalente

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 09:10:47 PM »
I also love Pangea games. The first one I played was Mighty Mike on my dad's Performa. I think Brian should create more new games. :D

Captain Karanga

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 04:32:13 PM »
I also love Pangea games. The first one I played was Mighty Mike on my dad's Performa. I think Brian should create more new games. :D
With characters in! We haven't seen that since 2004's Nanosaur 2.