Author Topic: Question about Bungie  (Read 20049 times)

Shadowbreaker

Question about Bungie
« on: December 24, 2010, 06:13:26 AM »
I remember reading that Bungie once owned Weekend Warrior... or something. I heard that Pangea made it, and it was released a little while after Marathon 2 by Bungie, but failed to gain particularly much of an audience.

I was just wondering what really happened in the end. There is absolutely no mention of it on Bungie's site (there's hardly any mention of anything that isn't Halo related).

Brian Greenstone, CEO Pangea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Bungie
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 07:27:35 AM »
Back in those days Pangea Software did not do any publishing.  We just did development.  So, we had developed Weekend Warrior and Bungie published it for us.  The game did well because it was picked up on several bundles including a bundle with 3DFX and on the Apple Performas if I remember correctly.  It may have also been on those Mac clones back then.

At the time we considered it a groundbreaking game because it was the first 100% 3D game ever.  There were no sprites in it at all.  Even the menus were done with 3D lettering.  Unfortunately, the game kinda sucked.  I consider it the worst game we've ever done.  More of a technical achievement at the time than anything else.

-Brian

hazelden

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 08:33:20 AM »
I'm fairly sure Weekend Warrior was included with the Power Computing, Powerbase 180 system, along with the Pangea Gerbils program.

Brian Greenstone, CEO Pangea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 04:26:01 PM »
Ah, right.  It was Power Computing.  Gerbils was actually a Quickdraw 3D demo that I did for Apple on their request.  They came to me with the Gerbils idea and I was pretty happy with how it came out.  The application looked exactly like the concept sketches they gave me.  I think they distributed that demo with Quicktime or something. 

-Brian

hazelden

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 10:05:20 AM »
I dug out my old Power Computing Mac OS 7.6 System CD and found Pangea's Gerbils on it.

Here is the contents of the Gerbils! Read Me:

Welcome to Gerbils!—the application that showcases QuickDraw™ 3D, the new system software component that adds a new dimension to your Macintosh® system. This file shows you how to get started with Gerbils! and enjoy your ride.

For additional information, help is available under the  menu, when Gerbils! is open.

Gerbils! defined

Gerbils! is a “rodent-coaster” simulator that makes gerbil watching fun and different. What could be better? Gerbils moving along tracks of multiple shapes, defying gravity in daredevil moves just for your enjoyment. With twists, loops, or even knots just a mouse click away, there are no limits to what these critters will do. Gerbils! is the best way to have fun with 3D graphics.

Making ’em move

When launched, Gerbils! displays a fly-through window and a track editing window. The fly-through window takes you to a gerbil ride as seen through the gerbil’s eyes. If you go to the Camera menu you can change the viewpoint to that of a bird-of-prey following the gerbil, or to that of something the gerbil is chasing. Using the same menu, you can even look at other gerbils that happen to be on the same track.

Watching ’em move

You use the Rendering menu to control how Gerbils! displays the track, and also to apply different textures to the track. If you have one of those red and blue “3D glasses” handy, you can also view the track and all the gerbils in stereo.

Changing the track

Click on the Track Editing window to bring it to the front. You can drag any track icon at the bottom of the window and drop it on top of the rodent-coaster track to replace existing sections. You can also drag a new track icon and drop it on top of any of the small red boxes to insert a new section. You can click on a section of track and press the Delete key to erase it. If you click and drag a red box, you can easily bend and change the shape of the neighboring track sections. After you are finished changing the track, you may use the File menu to save your changes, open a previously created track, or even create a new one.

Teaching an old gerbil a new trick

Who says you cannot teach an old gerbil a new trick? Impress your friends, and show them otherwise. You may use the Import command under the File menu to display other 3DMF models in place of the regular gerbils. You can also use the same command to apply a different texture to the ground plane. You may experiment with the sample textures in the “Gerbils! Textures Folder,” and the sample models in the “Gerbils! Models Folder.”

Troubleshooting

The amount of memory Gerbils! requires depends on a number of factors—the complexity of the track, the number of gerbils, and the size of the fly-through window all affect memory requirements. In case Gerbils! has problems running, it might be that QuickDraw 3D cannot allocate enough memory. To correct the problem, you may have to quit all other open 3D applications, and restart Gerbils!

•    •    •    •    •    •    •    •    •    •    •    •    •    •    •    •    •    •    •    •    •    •    •    •

Copyright ©1995 Apple Computer, Inc.

Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, and MacOS are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. QuickDraw is a trademark of Apple Computer, Inc. All other product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders. Mention of non-Apple products is for informational purposes and constitutes neither an endorsement nor a recommendation. Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance, or use of these products. No gerbils or any other live animals have been killed or harmed during the making of this production.

Ottobot

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
Great find!

Westernden

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 02:33:08 PM »
Niiiice  ;D

nmz502

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 04:56:44 PM »
Most of pangea's older games can be found on macintosh garden(macintoshgarden.org).

Ottobot

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 09:06:11 PM »
Found it!

Ha! It has the Mighty Mike credits song!

im_a_weekend_warrior

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 08:45:32 PM »
Back in those days Pangea Software did not do any publishing.  We just did development.  So, we had developed Weekend Warrior and Bungie published it for us.  The game did well because it was picked up on several bundles including a bundle with 3DFX and on the Apple Performas if I remember correctly.  It may have also been on those Mac clones back then.

At the time we considered it a groundbreaking game because it was the first 100% 3D game ever.  There were no sprites in it at all.  Even the menus were done with 3D lettering.  Unfortunately, the game kinda sucked.  I consider it the worst game we've ever done.  More of a technical achievement at the time than anything else.

-Brian
Weekend warrior was by far the best game you've ever done.  I'm extremely disappointed you guys haven't ported it over to OSX or iOS. 

Ottobot

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 09:06:13 PM »
Weekend warrior was by far the best game you've ever done.  I'm extremely disappointed you guys haven't ported it over to OSX or iOS. 
Impossible. Weekend Warrior was made with Quickdraw 3D, which is incompatible with OS X.

im_a_weekend_warrior

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 09:57:34 PM »
Impossible. Weekend Warrior was made with Quickdraw 3D, which is incompatible with OS X.
quesa (http://sourceforge.net/projects/quesa/)

Or I guess it COULD be ported over to use opengl.  It wasn't (err... doesn't seem like) that complicated of an application, shouldn't take too long if you know what you're doing (assuming it's as simple as it looks based on playing it and looking at the data folder).  OpenGL is actually kinda fun to write for osx and ios apps.

Ottobot

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 10:23:53 PM »
So could one take a Quickdraw 3D file and convert it to an Open GL based file format with Quesa?

im_a_weekend_warrior

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 11:08:16 AM »
So could one take a Quickdraw 3D file and convert it to an Open GL based file format with Quesa?

With this: http://www.miensoftware.com/files/rb3dutility.zip  I just tried it, and it works very well, it'll allows you to export in files that you can use with an opengl app.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 11:10:28 AM by im_a_weekend_warrior »

Ottobot

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 11:22:43 AM »
Well dad gum! Reconfigure the files into OpenGL and rewrite the app in Cocoa and you have yourself a Mac OS X port!

Or...is that easier said than done?