Author Topic: Air Wings 13.0  (Read 648 times)

Brian Greenstone, CEO Pangea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Air Wings 13.0
« on: December 21, 2017, 12:40:43 PM »
Once I get back from Christmas I plan on tackling the constant crashing issue by bypassing Apple's GKMatchmaker dialog entirely.  This dialog is responsible for 95% of the Air Wings crashing in iOS 11, and for the last 6 months I've done everything I can to try and work around it, but to no avail.

Luckily, however, there is a way in Game Center to create your own custom matchmaker dialog.   If Apple's bug is in the GKMatchmaker dialog itself then this should fix the problem, but if the bug is in the actual matchmaking machinery under the hood then it won't make any difference.  Also, some functionality will be lost by doing our own custom dialog, but the benefits should outweigh the losses.

Anyway, if this works out it'll be v13.0 and I'll be looking for beta testers.  If you're not already on our beta list from the previous versions and want to help just let me know your email address and I'll add you to TestFlight.

Thanks,

-Brian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Air Wings 13.0
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 05:44:00 PM »
I'm currently submitting the first test build of 13.0 to TestFlight.  I suspect it may be a couple of days before its available since Apple is on vacation right now.

I have removed the GKMatchmaker dialog and replaced it with a simple screen that says "Connecting Players..."  No frills.  It just connects in the background and then proceeds to the usual connection screen that shows the player names and stats.  So far this seems to fix a lot of things.  I haven't had the game crash at all since getting rid of the GKMatchmaker dialog, and as a side effect it's now connecting to players much more reliably because it's giving me back some control over that instead of having GKMatchmaker do all of it.  The downside is that there's no longer any control over the number of players in the match, and you cannot invite friends, nor can you connect over bluetooth.  All that functionality was built in to GKMatchmaker's dialog.

So, I'll send this build out to the usual beta testers once Apple lets me, but in the meantime I'm still looking for more testers!  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send me your email address so I can add you to TestFlight so we can see if this new build really fixes anything before I put more work in to it.

Thanks,

-Brian

phattode

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 02:02:01 PM »
Well not crashing as frequently but the connection quality remains mostly unplayable. The few crashes experienced since the last upgrade were all after the match completed while on the scoreboard and crashed to the desktop.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 02:25:35 PM »
I think this morning's build will finally squash the crashing.  So far there have been no crashes according to TestFlight and Xcode's crash logger which is a good sign.

-Brian

James

• All in fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 02:41:46 PM »
I think this morning's build will finally squash the crashing.  So far there have been no crashes according to TestFlight and Xcode's crash logger which is a good sign.

-Brian
Played maybe 6-8 games so far and no crashing.  I did notice there is no option for multiplayer.  It goes straight to the match up screen.  I'm ok with that because I usually play 2 player anyway. 

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 02:48:00 PM »
You mean no option for Invites, right?   The new system is actually exactly the same as the other in that it tries to find 4-way matches, but will take whatever it can find.  It's all the same under the hood, the only thing different is that it's not using GKMatchmaker to display what's going on, and it also removes the ability to Invite friends since that's a GKMatchmaker thing.  That's the main reason why I put in a toggle switch in the settings to go back to GKMatchmaker - so anyone who needs that capability can go back to it.

-Brian

James

• All in fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 07:10:50 PM »
You mean no option for Invites, right?   The new system is actually exactly the same as the other in that it tries to find 4-way matches, but will take whatever it can find.  It's all the same under the hood, the only thing different is that it's not using GKMatchmaker to display what's going on, and it also removes the ability to Invite friends since that's a GKMatchmaker thing.  That's the main reason why I put in a toggle switch in the settings to go back to GKMatchmaker - so anyone who needs that capability can go back to it.

-Brian
No, I mean no option to select if you want two or four player.
Ok...so I just downloaded the newest build and this is what I got...
An automatic attempt to achieve a four player match (which I actually don't care for because it takes longer and often drops out).  Then....after waiting for that matchup for about 15 secs I got the pop up box that game centaer had lost connection to players".         At least with the two player option I could almost always get a match quickly. 

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 07:43:34 PM »
The 2 or 4 player option has been gone for a very long time - probably a year.  If you use the GKMatchmaker dialog you can manually control the number of players in the match, but that's the only way to do that anymore.

-Brian

James

• All in fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 09:48:48 PM »
The 2 or 4 player option has been gone for a very long time - probably a year.  If you use the GKMatchmaker dialog you can manually control the number of players in the match, but that's the only way to do that anymore.

-Brian
Ah.   I suppose I've been seeing that 2-4 player choice because I reverted to an older ios.  Ever since my gyro went out the minute I loaded ios11 I went back to an older ios 10 point something and had zero issues.       If I go to settings and turn off "simple matchmaker" I still get my 2-4 player option. 

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 09:37:39 AM »
I'm almost ready with this new version, and this morning I added one last thing:  Pro Tips.  Now, when you're waiting for a match it shows some random tips at the bottom of the screen.  The ones I have now are these:

1.  Any upgrade removes ads.
2.  Suction cups can't hurt the squirrel.
3.  Bonus coins also give you speed, health, and ammo.
4.  Redeem your Reward Points for free planes.
5.  Tell your friends to get more players online

Does anyone else have any other tips you think I should add in?

-Brian

James

• All in fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 05:01:06 PM »
I'm almost ready with this new version, and this morning I added one last thing:  Pro Tips.  Now, when you're waiting for a match it shows some random tips at the bottom of the screen.  The ones I have now are these:

1.  Any upgrade removes ads.
2.  Suction cups can't hurt the squirrel.
3.  Bonus coins also give you speed, health, and ammo.
4.  Redeem your Reward Points for free planes.
5.  Tell your friends to get more players online

Does anyone else have any other tips you think I should add in?

-Brian
Spawn Killing BK gives you bonus lives?

James

• All in fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 05:22:31 PM »
Turn up sensitivity for sharper turns and evasive maneuvers.
Set "traps" with firecrackers to surprise your enemies.
Change direction often when flying to throw off your opponent.
Ricocheting rubber bands can reach opponents that are out of sight.
"Throwing" firecrackers against some walls will damage opponents on the other side.
Practice shooting ahead of your opponents flight path to get more ammo hits.
Flying at different elevations helps keep you unpredictable.
Don't take it personally. Bob C 88 quits on everyone   :D

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 11:25:06 AM »
Air Wings v13.0 just got approved!  It should start appearing on the App Store within the hour. 

phattode

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 02:41:28 PM »
No change. Crashes to desktop frequently.  Takes a long time to decide 4 player isn't an option then just fails to connect.

Opponents are skipping around much more quickly than previously. Nice touch to easily indicate an unplayable connection.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 03:01:29 PM »
Yeah, you maybe right.  I don't get it - we tested this version for a week, and it wasn't crashing at all - at least during connection.  But now that it's out it's crashing just as much as before I think.  Maybe a little less.  Either way, I don't get it.  Was working great in beta.

-B