Author Topic: Air Wings Video Contest - Become Famous!  (Read 751 times)

Brian Greenstone, CEO Pangea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Air Wings Video Contest - Become Famous!
« on: June 29, 2017, 07:06:47 PM »
I was just sitting here making new demo videos of Air Wings for the new App Store on iOS 11.  Previously, you could have one 30 second long preview video for your app, but Apple has changed this for iOS 11.  Now you can have up to 3 preview videos for iPhone and iPad each, and they auto-play when you view the app on the App Store.  It looks really cool, because when Air Wings comes up you automatically see a high speed multiplayer battle going on.

Even though I just made a bunch of videos that I was planning on using, it occurred to me that I could make this into a contest of sorts.  If you think your flying skills are up to the task you can make a video of you flying in a battle, and if it's good enough I'll use it on the App Store for iOS 11.  That way everyone seeing the game on the store will get to see you in action.

To make a video of the game you just need an iOS device made in the last ~3 years and Quicktime Player.  Do this:

1.  Launch Quicktime Player on the Mac
2.  Select File -> New Movie Recording
3.  A new record window will appear, and next to the red record button you'll see a pop-up triangle.  Click that to see a list of video and audio input sources.  Be sure to select your iOS device for *both* video and audio.  For Quality select High, but DO NOT select Maximum (that setting causes the video to stutter).
4.  When you're ready press the Record button and it will record you iOS device and doesn't affect the performance of the device at all.

When you're done Quicktime will ask you to save the movie.   From there you can load it into whatever editor you want (I use the old Quicktime 7 Player which lets you edit movies and do lots of cool stuff).  Find your favorite 30 seconds of video and save it.  The videos will be recorded at 60fps, but the Previews can only be 30fps, so you might want to change the frame rate when you save the edited movie out.  That will make the file smaller, but if you don't know how to do that don't worry, I can change it here.

Once you have your videos ready just upload them anywhere I can get them (Dropbox, iCloud, FTP site, etc.) and then email me at brian@pangeasoft.net  From there I'll check them out and choose the 3 I like the best for iPhone and the 3 best for iPad.

There's no huge rush on this because iOS 11 won't ship for a long time, but it would be nice to get the videos ready in the next few weeks.  Just remember that the videos I'll be looking for should have these qualities:

1.  A good consistent frame rate.
2.  Lots of action packed into 30 seconds
3.  Stuff that makes people say "oooh!  aahhh!   wow!"
4.  Does it make me want to play it?
5.  I'll be looking for a variety of levels and planes being shown, but it's ok if each video only shows 1 plane (hard to do much in 30 seconds).

Thanks, and have fun!

-Brian

James

• All in fun
    • View Profile
Re: Air Wings Video Contest - Become Famous!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 09:01:54 PM »
Well, I was good until I started reading, then it went down hill. 
I have an ipad pro and iphone6.  No mac computer.  Sounds like I'm out. 
Too bad we can't just use the built in game recorder and transfer it to you tube.

⿻Jiji⿻

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 03:57:03 AM »
No Mac ,
Just game recorder too  :(

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 06:07:38 AM »
If you have some other way of making the videos feel free to try.  But it needs to be a hardware solution because using things like ReplayKit to record your game videos won't work - those videos are too choppy and crappy quality.  Using the hardware option out to Quicktime doesn't affect the game at all, and it's raw video so the quality is perfect.

-Brian

James

• All in fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 12:29:57 PM »
If you have some other way of making the videos feel free to try.  But it needs to be a hardware solution because using things like ReplayKit to record your game videos won't work - those videos are too choppy and crappy quality.  Using the hardware option out to Quicktime doesn't affect the game at all, and it's raw video so the quality is perfect.

-Brian
Brian, here is a short 20 second sample of a recording direct from the AW built-in recorder and sent through the app "capture" to youtube....  your opinion on it's "choppiness" ?
http://youtu.be/SIFhcaUPqbc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 02:10:49 PM »
Thanks!  Unfortunately, YouTube videos don't help me.  I need the actual mp4 file to upload to the app store. 

-Brian

Squiggledog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 12:39:19 PM »
I followed your instructions. Opened Quicktime on the computer and started a new movie recording, but it doesn't seem to avail my phone as an option.