Author Topic: Ditching Game Center  (Read 2499 times)

Brian Greenstone, CEO Pangea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ditching Game Center
« on: November 28, 2016, 10:37:26 AM »
Let's face it, Game Center has been abandoned by Apple.  In ~5 years that I've been reporting bugs to them I can't think of a single one that's actually been fixed, and with each iOS update they continue to break more and more parts of Game Center.  iOS 10 was the final straw because some genius at Apple though it was a good idea to remove the Invitation system, and the part that remains no longer works.  Voice Chat went from buggy to unusable, as it was causing the game to crash in iOS 10, so it had to be removed from the game.  Don't even get me started on the connection issues....

Anyway, I would like to replace it with something, but so far I haven't found a viable alternative.  Google Play has their own Game Center API equivalent, but unfortunately, the login system is HTML based, so the SDK won't work on an AppleTV which does not support HTML.  So, I'm hoping that Google with eventually update their SDK to support the AppleTV, and when that happens I'll try swapping out Game Center for it.  It can't be any worse, right?

-Brian

Dansaaid 👊🏻

• Resilience
    • View Profile
Re: Ditching Game Center
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 11:12:36 AM »
Hi Brian,
Definitely , do whatever you need to do to get the game back to its glory days please.
Thanks
Dan

BK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 06:00:52 PM »
Hey Biggie G, hope you had a good holiday! My mistake, gamecenter is still broke...it tracked points for a couple hours this morning, even logging on and off several times, but the points are gone now.

US DIEHARDS ARE BEGGING YOU, SWITCH TO GOOGLE PLAY NOW

The percentage of people playing on AppleTV, that won't support SDK, is minimal compared to people playing on mobile devices...switch now! You can always add the SDK/AppleTV code when it's compatible. You can't afford to wait...to me it's a no brainer...and then.. Put a press release out saying your switching to Google Play, explain how you feel about it, why you did it, how Apple has abandoned Gamecenter..no support...etc..
This will give you press on AW, in the gaming sites, blogs..kick Apple in the face, take advantage of the buzz..more players...more money for you..veterans get to play!!!!

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 06:14:14 PM by BK »

James

• All in fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 06:23:24 PM »
I wouldn't let the apple TV thing hold you up.  I see very few players using it. What do you have to lose?  I would say to find a way to test and makes sure the game works smoothly.  Test, test, and test again before throwing the switch.   I would live to get the mic back and see a few other glitches cleared up. 

I still think this game has potential to be much bigger.  There's still a big market for this kind of thing if it works right.  More incentives for newbies and upgrading, more lame challenging goals etc. 

Do it Brian!

Bize1970

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 07:16:50 PM »
For the 3 people who may use the Apple TV, I'm sure they'll survive any remaining support. This shouldn't stop you from moving forward as long as you feel it's a good fit.

I tried playing this on the Apple TV and you just can't compete on a high level anyway.

Bize1970

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 07:38:08 PM »
Question - Will we be able to create a friend list so we can invite each other to play?

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 08:32:47 AM »
Here's the thing about Apple TV... even though I almost never see an AppleTV player in the game, the AppleTV accounts for a significant number of daily downloads and revenue.  It's baffling, really, because I maybe see an Apple TV player in the game once every 2 or 3 weeks.  You an identify them by the hexagonal ring around their plane instead of the circular ring.  Nevertheless, they're downloading the game and buying things and generating ad revenue, so I can't blow them off.

Regardless, I'm still not sure if Google Play would actually be an improvement.  It appears that for Invites to work you have to install a separate Google App (like having the Game Center app), so that presents issues all its own.  Additionally, there's little information out there to indicate if the API is really any less awful than Game Center.  We might just be replacing one piece of crap with another piece of crap.

So, I'm going to keep my eyes on things and see.  I may try implementing it into the game with a switch so that I can go between the two.

-Brian

Bize1970

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 10:35:22 AM »
I see your point.

Strange, I played most of the day yesterday and don't recall seeing rings around anyone!  :P

BK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 05:49:13 PM »
Yes..Biggie G..you should be checking it out instead of speculating.. You might find it works way better!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 06:47:13 AM »
The rings are there, but they fade out as you get closer to the player.  They're mostly just visible when the player is off in the distance to help you see them.

-Brian

James

• All in fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 10:21:43 PM »
Maybe test it with intergalactic first.  We can round up enough folks to experiment with it.

Squiggledog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 04:55:31 AM »
If the game also runs on Android, how pratical would it be to just have a built-in matching system? It should work seamlessly regardless of platforms. Most of these modern social games employ a Facebook connection, to log into the game, which seems to work very well.

What about the Network Play feature that was on Weekend Warrior? Did it require any kind of logging in, or could it simply show anyone else playing the game? The thing I've always admired about the Pangea softwares are their totally portable, built-in, stand-alone, complete applications without any in-app purchases, ads, or premium content.