Author Topic: Voice Chat on iOS 10  (Read 2792 times)

Brian Greenstone, CEO Pangea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Voice Chat on iOS 10
« on: October 05, 2016, 07:29:21 AM »
As many of you already know Apple completely broke Voice Chat on iOS 10.  It works just as horribly has it has since iOS 6 except now when the other player turns off Voice Chat it causes the system to basically lock up.  Sometimes it causes all the other players' app to crash, or it just brings the game down to 1 fps.  So, I've submitted a new update which disables Voice Chat on iOS 10 until further notice.  Thanks Apple.

-Brian

BK

• View Profile
Re: Voice Chat on iOS 10
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 02:25:48 PM »
I disagree with you disconnecting the voice chat. The benefit of voice chat is a huge part of the game for veteran players, probably newbs too. Can't you just post an Announcment that toggling the voice chat on or off during play will cause the game to crash of freeze due to an apple issue.
Reconsider please.
I'll announce it in our forum to help get the word out.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 02:41:29 PM »
Believe me, it's not by choice.  It's by necessity.  It will still work on iOS 9 devices, but on iOS 10 I had to remove it because it simply didn't work.  It caused the game to malfunction such that it was not playable.  People were reporting that it was causing it to actually crash, and others (including myself) were seeing the game go 1 frame/sec. 

I wrote up a bug report for Apple, and also emailed the people involved directly.  However, in 6 years they've never fixed a single Game Center bug that I've reported, so I don't expect them to start now.

-Brian

BK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 02:57:56 PM »
Ugh...this game is slowly dying an aweful death at the hands of Apple..

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 03:01:13 PM »
Yep... Apple breaks Game Center with each iOS update.  It's a miracle it still works at all.

-Brian

FlyingMonkeys

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 03:57:39 PM »
Is there no third-party library that could replace Apple's functionality? This was one of the best features of the game.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 04:56:50 PM »
There's no 3rd party library that we know would actually be any better.  We might just end up replacing one mess with another.

-Brian

Lodewijk Loos

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 04:23:39 AM »
hello Brian,

Did you receive any reply on your bug report? Do you have any hope the voice chat issue will be fixed in Game Center? I ran into the exact same issue developing my own app. I've submitted a bug report as well, but I am looking out for other options, since voice chat is crucial for my game.

regards, Lodewijk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 07:16:02 AM »
Of course not.  Apple doesn't care about Game Center anymore.  I don't expect anything to ever be fixed.

-Brian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 07:44:31 AM »
I'm going to attempt to reinstate Voice Chat on iOS 10 with another update.  I just tested it here and it still has problems, but at least I couldn't make it crash the game anymore, so maybe Apple actually fixed something.  Hard to say with just testing between 2 devices here.   I'm going to let the latest version sit for a while to see if there are any other issues, and then I'll issue a new update in about 2 weeks which will turn Voice Chat on as a test.

-Brian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 12:01:31 PM »
Well, so much for voice chat.  I've been testing the internal build of 11.1.1 and it appears Apple still hasn't fixed the problem.  I just got matched up with someone running the game on iOS 9 so it did a voice chat session and I got the same old problem where the game slows down to about 2 frames per second and then entirely locks up.  This is what happens with Voice Chat on iOS 10, and Apple will probably never fix it, so I'm going to have to disable it again for iOS 10.  Bummer.

-Brian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 06:55:12 AM »
Voice chat is still broken in iOS 11 beta 3.  Crashes the game pretty much immediately.  I don't think Apple has any plans to ever fix this.

-Brian

James

• All in fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 10:25:38 PM »
Voice chat is still broken in iOS 11 beta 3.  Crashes the game pretty much immediately.  I don't think Apple has any plans to ever fix this.

-Brian
Nice.  Thanks Apple  :-\