Author Topic: Dropoff in players  (Read 4118 times)

Brian Greenstone, CEO Pangea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Dropoff in players
« on: November 20, 2014, 09:31:20 AM »
Wow, November has not been a good month for Air Wings.  The number of players has taken a serious dive, and I'm not really sure why.  I'm only seeing about half the number of people online that we'd normally see, and our downloads have dropped significantly too.  My best guess is that it is because the "Flight Games" collection on the App Store where many people found out about the game has been moved to a very remote location.  Or, we may not be coming up so high in certain keyword searches anymore.  Hard to say what caused the sudden drop, but it's not just the iOS 8 Game Center issues because those have been going on since September, and this drop has been since around the start of November.

If the player base drops much more it could trigger a cascade effect, and the game will die very quickly like Intergalactic did.  I can't really complain if that happens, however.  I mean Air Wings has had an amazing run for the last 2.5+ years, but still...

-Brian

James

• All in fun
    • View Profile
Re: Dropoff in players
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 01:29:17 PM »
Wow, November has not been a good month for Air Wings.  The number of players has taken a serious dive, and I'm not really sure why.  I'm only seeing about half the number of people online that we'd normally see, and our downloads have dropped significantly too.  My best guess is that it is because the "Flight Games" collection on the App Store where many people found out about the game has been moved to a very remote location.  Or, we may not be coming up so high in certain keyword searches anymore.  Hard to say what caused the sudden drop, but it's not just the iOS 8 Game Center issues because those have been going on since September, and this drop has been since around the start of November.

If the player base drops much more it could trigger a cascade effect, and the game will die very quickly like Intergalactic did.  I can't really complain if that happens, however.  I mean Air Wings has had an amazing run for the last 2.5+ years, but still...

-Brian

Even the rear view cam didn't help????

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 01:31:58 PM »
The rearview cam was just an extra thing I figured I'd throw in since I had to submit that update anyways.  Not very useful, but doesn't get in the way either.

-B

Concerned1

• Does this make sense to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 01:54:30 PM »

-Brian
Wow.  You are right. I found airwings two years ago by searching for "flying games".  I just went to the app store and searched for flying games.  I scrolled through about a hundred games.  I nevr did see airwings.  I also narrowed my search to flying games / free.  Still never found it. That's not good.  I suppose renaming it or calling it AirWings2 doesn't help get you to the top of a list again does it?

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 04:41:45 PM »
Well, the good news is that it comes up at the top when I search for "flight simulator":

-Brian

Cletus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 10:23:34 AM »
Brian is probably the only person who can fix the search engine issue. I have an observation. Personally I get tired of the cheaters they ruin the fun with the spawn killing. Also it seems that planes that traditionally are more difficult to kill are now easy to kill and the planes that were easy to kill are too easy to kill. They lost their speed and endurance. The kite should be fixed it is too difficult to kill and it goes to fast. Planes that used to have speed or maneuverability over other planes no longer have that. Darts bounce off the squrill. I guess that's great for the new kid but an advanced pilot has too much if an advantage. I have been in a Tib and had a bomber run along side me for health I could not outrun him and if we bump I die. I have been in the fighter with nearly full health and bumped into a Tib and died. Seems like the Tib should have died. There is often times too much ordinance flying around and they follow you so you can't escape them. This game has become too complicated. It was more fun in the beginning before it became overly complex. I'm not being critical of someone's hard work. I'm just saying simpler was more fun and the planes have lost their individual caracter. These might seem like small things, but when they don't make sense they add up to frustration and no fun when playing.

BK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 04:47:41 PM »
I have to agree with Cletus..on many of his points. I think one of the problems came from the idea that newbies needed protection from the ACES..while in theory the idea of giving them extra shield initially was a good idea, I think it gave them a broad scope of protection that is way too large..I don't know what parameters you used Biggie G, say everyone under 50000 points gets super shield, that's my guess, but wherever it lies, it's too much protection. Your shield bubble encompasses way too many intermediate players that virtually are flying around unscathed..when I can load up my Quad with full ammo, and try and take down an intermediate player with everything I have, and sometimes they are not even smoking, completely unfazed by the barrage..the broad shield of protection is TOO all encompassing.Might want to consider lowering the threshold that defines newbies.
The squirrel is definitely being abused by a core group of players, much like the kite was before its shield was lowered. If you have the squirrel that is immune to the darts, commen sence says you need to compensate with a lower shield due to that fact of a type of ammo does not work on the squirrel. It's shield is way to strong.
Take my Quad for instance, you have given it consistently the lowest shield in the game, probably in your mind because it carries one of the better ammo loads in the game..this is unbalanced in my view, because I can be taken out very easily by any plane.
What would be interesting to try is to give every plane basically the same amount of shield, and let the skill of the pilot determine the game outcome. Remember, you can always pick up more ammo, you can't pick up more shield, health is not really shield. If everyone had the same shield strength, the game would have a better feel, strategy would become more important, and abuse of certain planes would go away. What do you think Biggie G?

couponman1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 09:38:39 PM »
I have tried to invite 2 of my friends to play airwings.
Both have  I guess android systems.

THEY cannot connect to Apple I have an I phone.
that is one of the reasons Im sure.

I see no problem with any planes.,\

If they want to use the squirrel then thats what i will be fling as well real simple.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 07:12:56 AM »
I have tried to invite 2 of my friends to play airwings.
Both have  I guess android systems.

THEY cannot connect to Apple I have an I phone.
that is one of the reasons Im sure.

I see no problem with any planes.,\

If they want to use the squirrel then thats what i will be fling as well real simple.

The Android and iOS versions are not compatible.  For starters there's no Game Center on Android, and secondly the Android version is based on Air Wings 1.0 whereas on iOS it's up to 9.0 now.

-Brian

Specialkev

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2014, 02:39:57 PM »
For me it's simply connection issues....imagine playing a boxing game where you can't see punches coming....frustrating and I end up just quitting.