Author Topic: Air Wings rankings suddenly spiking  (Read 4020 times)

Brian Greenstone, CEO Pangea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Air Wings rankings suddenly spiking
« on: April 15, 2014, 08:54:25 AM »
For some unknown reason, Air Wings rankings and downloads have spiked since Friday.  I mean a major spike, but only on the iPhone rankings, not iPad.  We're #105 in Games and #347 Top Overall.  The number of downloads per day is up between 2x-3x.

The game isn't being featured on the App Store anywhere that it wasn't before, so I'm stumped as to where this spike is coming from.  On Friday I did increase the daily Facebook ad spending from $50/day to $150/day, but that can't account for this.  I've done $1000/day before, and that didn't get us this high in the rankings.  Two weeks ago when I was doing $100/day it certainly didn't do this, so it can't just be Facebook ads.  Anyone else have any ideas why we're seeing such a huge spike?

In the meantime, I'm not touching anything.  I'm not submitting any updates, modifying the welcome message, changing the ads, etc.  I'm leaving everything exactly as it is since I don't know what is causing this spike, and I don't want to jinx it.

-Brian

TLiggins

Re: Air Wings rankings suddenly spiking
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
I know most of the North East is on Spring Break this week. My wife teaches middle school....all those kids are off....Easter Sunday coming up too...

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 10:15:11 AM »
Spring break in April?  I didn't know anyone did it that late.  Regardless, that's not it.  When the rest of the world was on Spring Break the numbers actually dropped since people were off doing other things.

-Brian

TLiggins

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 02:51:43 PM »
Spring break in April?  I didn't know anyone did it that late.  Regardless, that's not it.  When the rest of the world was on Spring Break the numbers actually dropped since people were off doing other things.

-Brian

Yeah, Easter is late this year, so the North East schools for young kids,....not talking college here....think 5-14 yr. olds ,.....are off now.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 02:55:40 PM »
I didn't think Spring Break actually had anything to do with Easter.  It's a leftover from the previous century when kids were needed to help plant the spring crops.  Planting a crop in late April would be too late.  Those pioneers would starve to death.

-Brian

Bize1970

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 06:31:20 PM »
I didn't think Spring Break actually had anything to do with Easter.  It's a leftover from the previous century when kids were needed to help plant the spring crops.  Planting a crop in late April would be too late.  Those pioneers would starve to death.

-Brian

It snowed here today so I'm sure our farmers had to wait! Our spring breaks were last week and this week depending on your school district. Odd winter for us this year...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 04:30:57 AM by Bize1970 »

TLiggins

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 08:34:25 PM »

-Brian

I'm not sure the historical significance, but here on the East coast where many of times 80-100% of the kids are Christians or Catholics, Easter is part of their Spring break. Always was for me since the 1970's. That changed when I went to college, but middle school it was always like that.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 08:19:16 AM »
Well, things have continued to spike.  We're now #191 in the Top Apps list!  And still climbing...

Our downloads are over 18,000 per day which is up from last week this time when it was around 6,000.  So, downloads have tripled.  Oddly, profits are only up maybe 30%, not 300% and that's a little odd.  It seems like most of the additional 12,000 people who are downloading it every day are immediately deleting it.

Still have no clue where this is coming from....

-Brian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 07:01:22 PM »
Here's a graph.

-Brian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 09:30:29 PM »
Whatever it was it ended Thursday morning because we've been in free fall ever since.  It was fun while it lasted.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 12:07:04 PM »
Wow!  Just had 127 players online.  That's the most I've seen in a very, very long time.

-Brian

TLiggins

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 01:49:23 PM »
Wow!  Just had 127 players online.  That's the most I've seen in a very, very long time.

-Brian

If it drops off a cliff tomorrow you will know it's just Easter break.

Specialkev

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 08:20:58 PM »
Good advertising for AW.  Jaymz117 and Matt flowers video "hot squirrel on squirrel" made video of the day on the kamcord's app.

Posting to a YouTube account is what will bring in new people since the ones looking at the Kamcord app probably already have the game.