Author Topic: 6.2  (Read 15324 times)

Brian Greenstone, CEO Pangea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« on: February 20, 2014, 10:12:05 AM »
Even though 6.1 hasn't been approved yet (hopefully by Saturday) we're already working on 6.2.  The only thing we've done so far is added the ability to see where the other players are from.  On the Connecting screen it now shows their City, Country under their names on the chalkboard.

I was hoping to figure out a way to show everyone's location on a map, but it wasn't really practical, but at least this way you can get an idea of where the people are from that you're playing with, and you can see if you notice more network issues when playing with people who are on the other side of the planet.

Not sure what else we'll do for 6.2, tho.  Probably depends on how 6.1 goes.

-Brian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 6.2
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 07:03:53 PM »
Ok, got another idea for a 6.2 feature which will hopefully help us with new user acquisition.  I'm going to put in the capability to reward players for mentioning the game on their Facebook pages.  The way it will work is the game will ask the user if they'd like to mention the game on Facebook, and get a reward for it.  If they accept and the post is successful then they'll be presented with a screen of prizes to choose from.

I figure they could choose from things like:

• Get 100,000 points.
• Get Increased Health or Ammo or Speed for a limited time (like maybe a week or a month).
• Unlock a Level Pack or a Plane Pack for a limited time.

When the rewards expire they'll have the opportunity to post again to get another reward.

-Brian

TLiggins

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 07:11:17 PM »
So I'm guessing the way it will work is, your city will be guessed by using the location of the closest Game Center server?

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 07:15:19 PM »
So I'm guessing the way it will work is, your city will be guessed by using the location of the closest Game Center server?

No, it uses Core Location and reverse geocoding to get your location within a kilometer.

-Brian

TLiggins

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 08:23:15 PM »

No, it uses Core Location and reverse geocoding to get your location within a kilometer.

-Brian

Might not be something great for kids. Lots of kids post their real pictures and names...

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 08:49:02 PM »
iOS asks for permission to do it before it gets the location.

-Brian

Specialkev

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 02:13:25 PM »
I like the FB idea, but I don't think points or attributes should be given away. Use of plane packs is a great idea...but I would limit it to just a few days. I would make it a really cool trailer similar to the movie style one that Lex made a while back. The more someone posts it, the better the chance that other friends will share it and so on....

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 02:25:57 PM »
Ok, the Facebook Rewards Program (FRP) has been added to 6.2, and I think it works really well!

Attached is a screenshot showing what you'll see.  Basically, every 2 weeks you'll be asked if you want to earn some rewards, and every time you post to Facebook about the game it let's you choose from 1 of the 3 options:  more ammo, more health, more speed.  That upgrade then lasts 2 weeks until it asks again.

Not sure if 2 weeks is the proper time period, so if anyone has feedback on that I'd appreciate it.  I was originally going to set it to 1 month, but that seemed too long.

Also, the health and speed upgrades gives you 10% more.  The ammo one gives you between 1 and 10 extra bullets per weapon.  1 for the heat seeker, and 10 for the spit balls.  5 for just about everything else.  Does that sound good?

-Brian

Specialkev

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 02:36:48 PM »
Ok, the Facebook Rewards Program (FRP) has been added to 6.2, and I think it works really well!

Attached is a screenshot showing what you'll see.  Basically, every 2 weeks you'll be asked if you want to earn some rewards, and every time you post to Facebook about the game it let's you choose from 1 of the 3 options:  more ammo, more health, more speed.  That upgrade then lasts 2 weeks until it asks again.

Not sure if 2 weeks is the proper time period, so if anyone has feedback on that I'd appreciate it.  I was originally going to set it to 1 month, but that seemed too long.

Also, the health and speed upgrades gives you 10% more.  The ammo one gives you between 1 and 10 extra bullets per weapon.  1 for the heat seeker, and 10 for the spit balls.  5 for just about everything else.  Does that sound good?

-Brian

Don't think health should be added, it will just throw off the balance you have created. Ammo is not a huge deal so that's a good idea. Getting a new plane is a great idea, but I would only allow it to remain for a few days, not a few weeks. Will it post a movie style trailer of the game so others can see game play but in a way that really draws them into downloading the game, with dramatic music and theatrical wording about destroying the enemy or the agony of defeat?

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 02:50:44 PM »
I probably shouldn't say this, but there is a lot that goes on under the hood to adjust the health of the planes and those who fly them.  Health is not a static, constant thing.  The game has a handicap adjuster which gives new, bad players more health, and good players less.  It's an internal balancing thing, but it's subtle, and I don't think anyone has ever noticed it.  Giving a reward of 10% extra health is well within the margin of what the game does automatically anyways, so it's not going to fundamentally change the game balance in any way.

It's kind of how racing games always give the player in last place more speed so that they can catch up with the players in front.

-Brian

Specialkev

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 03:11:20 PM »
I probably shouldn't say this, but there is a lot that goes on under the hood to adjust the health of the planes and those who fly them.  Health is not a static, constant thing.  The game has a handicap adjuster which gives new, bad players more health, and good players less.  It's an internal balancing thing, but it's subtle, and I don't think anyone has ever noticed it.  Giving a reward of 10% extra health is well within the margin of what the game does automatically anyways, so it's not going to fundamentally change the game balance in any way.

It's kind of how racing games always give the player in last place more speed so that they can catch up with the players in front.

-Brian

Well, it may be noticed but just attributed to other things...like GC or darts not causing damage etc etc. that is one of the most frustrating things about the game. Still think two weeks is way too long.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 03:17:33 PM »
How long do you think would be good?

-Brian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 03:19:06 PM »
Oh, also, I should clarify that you can only have *one* of those rewards at a time.  You can't have extra speed and extra health at the same time.  Just one.

-Brian

Specialkev

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 03:28:22 PM »
Oh, also, I should clarify that you can only have *one* of those rewards at a time.  You can't have extra speed and extra health at the same time.  Just one.

-Brian

I think a two day trial run is plenty, and it will get it on FB more often. I have over 700 Facebook "friends" and I miss a lot of what they post just because my page moves so fast due to the amount of posts. I really think having some sort of movie style trailer rather then just a blurb with a link to download would get you a TON of new downloads. Getting players to stick around starts with just having a bigger pool of players to begin with. I really think this is a great idea Brian....well done.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 03:39:04 PM »
Hmm... I don't know if 2 days is motivation enough to get everyone to post.  Maybe 1 week?  I wish some other people would chime in on this.  I could really use a consensus.

-Brian