Author Topic: Nanosaur on OSX  (Read 8995 times)

djblastyfone

Nanosaur on OSX
« on: February 12, 2011, 04:43:13 PM »
No, not a request, I managed to get Nanosaur running in an Intel Mac. Just thought I'd share ;D

What I did was download the windows version of "Nanosaur Extreme", put it in a self-contained Crossover-based .app package (look up the CXex/CXZ project for more information) and fiddled with WINE until it worked.

Here's a video of it in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgdEx59_AuQ

Here's the custom icon if anyone wants it:

@ Brian: The IFD ports of Nanosaur and Bugdom both seem to be at least partially OpenGL based, which means that if you were able to get your hands on the sourcecode (they should let you have it, you created the game after all), you'd have a much easier time making native ports of the games to OS X and iOS. Is this correct or am I way off base? I saw in another thread you said the reason you haven't ported the games already is that it would require a complete rewrite due to being in the depreciated QuickDraw 3D. If you had some of the work already done for you, would you reconsider making native ports of these two great games? I'd buy at least 5 copies if you did, and I know I'm not alone on that. When I was in elementary school in 2003, all the macs in the class had Bugdom installed, and we played it all the time. Since the first iMacs were very popular in the education market, and had Bugdom preinstalled, most kids who were in elementary/middle school from 1999 to 2005 (assuming most schools keep their machines for about 6 years) have played the game. Most of these kids are now 15 to 22, and most of them have iPod Touches or iPhones. See what I'm getting at? You have a massive potential market that wouldn't hesitate to buy a game they remember fondly playing back in the day. Price it right and you'd make a fortune ;)

/rant

szigetir

Re: Nanosaur on OSX
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 06:47:39 PM »
Make a fortune  ;D

djblastyfone

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 07:26:41 PM »
Make a fortune  ;D

Hey, if Rovio can make 7 million dollars by making an app where you chuck birds around...  ;D

Muel

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 03:00:52 AM »
I would certainly buy Nanosaur if it came out for intel imacs but my absolute dream would be bugdom on the intel imac.
Bugdom has always been my favourite game since I got it on my first OS9, no price to high Brian (but try and keep it under the £100 mark!)

StTheo

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 06:28:23 AM »
I think Pangea is underestimating the power of nostalgia...

Muel

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 02:39:58 PM »
I agree - nostalgia is very important