Author Topic: Pangea's 25th Anniversary coming up!  (Read 4826 times)

Brian Greenstone, CEO Pangea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Pangea's 25th Anniversary coming up!
« on: November 03, 2012, 09:53:47 AM »
Pangea Software turns 25 years old next month!  I started this company when I was a sophomore in college, and we are the oldest continually running Apple Game Developer in the world!  I figure I need to celebrate this somehow, but I'm not coming up with any good ideas.  We put the games on sale all the time, so I don't just want to do that again.  There's got to be a better way to promote this anniversary.  Anyone got ideas?

-Brian

queen.of.mean

Re: Pangea's 25th Anniversary coming up!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 12:27:21 PM »
Pangea Software turns 25 years old next month!  I started this company when I was a sophomore in college, and we are the oldest continually running Apple Game Developer in the world!  I figure I need to celebrate this somehow, but I'm not coming up with any good ideas.  We put the games on sale all the time, so I don't just want to do that again.  There's got to be a better way to promote this anniversary.  Anyone got ideas?

-Brian

*** Why not make all games accessable for free on this date...to get people to try the other games you offer 1 day only! ( might help boost sales, and promote your comapny)

luther unleashed again

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 09:38:54 AM »
Well Brian from a non gamer type of person, "I play air wings constantly but it's the only game I play" my opinion on what would make ME actually spend money would be a way to try the game, kinda like some apps that give you a limited trial or something like that?  Iv thought about getting a few of your games but because I don't really spend money on games I'm unsure of, iv yet to do it. Maybe trying a level if its a game that has them, or if there was a way to allow access for 48 hrs or so and then the apps time runs out or you have to upgrade? 

Congrats on your success!

sti-jpn

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 05:43:48 PM »
I liked watching the YouTube videos you made of previous games & development so maybe you could do a update video of Pangea Software's history as a company etc, think that would be cool?

Jsdds2

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 12:49:59 AM »
Dear Brian,
Congratulations on the Anniversary of Pangea! I can remember the excitement of playing Nanosaur for hours, The Bugdoms, and the spectacular Ottomatic music and images blaring off of the CompUSA shelves when the Mac G3 came out!
 I don't know if it's possible, but would it be possible to rig up a composite game people could play for a week, say, where a few Air Wings planes, nanosaurs, Ottomatic or a rolling hammer, and a Cro-Mag could all be available to meet and duke it out on, say, the Nanosaur landscape?
Silly fun but what a way to celebrate your 25th!
Jim

sti-jpn

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 06:51:39 AM »
Dear Brian,
Congratulations on the Anniversary of Pangea! I can remember the excitement of playing Nanosaur for hours, The Bugdoms, and the spectacular Ottomatic music and images blaring off of the CompUSA shelves when the Mac G3 came out!
 I don't know if it's possible, but would it be possible to rig up a composite game people could play for a week, say, where a few Air Wings planes, nanosaurs, Ottomatic or a rolling hammer, and a Cro-Mag could all be available to meet and duke it out on, say, the Nanosaur landscape?
Silly fun but what a way to celebrate your 25th!
Jim

That's a cool idea Jim, would love to jump in on that if it could happen

Brent
STI-JPN

Fordcars123

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 07:35:57 PM »
I remember playing Cro-Mag rally and Bugdom on my PowerBook G3 which I still have. The only game missing to my collection are iOS games only and Billy Frontier.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 11:23:41 AM »
The 25th Anniversary Video is now out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk_G7Qvj1Sk

And here is the full press release:

Pangea Software Celebrates 25th Anniversary

Austin, Texas - December 3, 2012 – Pangea Software, the oldest continually operating Apple game developer in the world, turns 25 years old this month!  Founded in December of 1987, Pangea Software has been creating games for almost every Apple platform from the Apple IIgs to the Mac to iOS.  To celebrate the occasion, Pangea has released a video chronicling the quarter-century history of the company.  The half-hour long video is on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk_G7Qvj1Sk, and it contains many interesting and funny anecdotes about Pangea and their relationship with Apple.

“What a wild ride it has been,” says Brian Greenstone, Founder and CEO of Pangea Software, “So much has happened over the last twenty-five years, and it has been an honor to have worked so closely with our good friends at Apple.  I’ve had the opportunity to work with some of the best artists and musicians in the business, and I could not have hoped for a better career than this – I get paid to make games all day!  I’m really looking forward to what will come from Pangea over the next 25 years.”

Pangea Software was founded on December 17th, 1987, and the company made a name for itself with “Xenocide” which was one of the top games for the Apple IIgs.  After several years of producing games for the IIgs, Pangea moved to the Mac platform in the early 90’s when they created one of their best games ever, Power Pete.  For over a decade virtually every consumer Mac that shipped had at least one Pangea game bundled on it.  Power Pete, Weekend Warrior, Nanosaur, Bugdom, Cro-Mag Rally, Otto Matic, and Nanosaur 2 were included on the Mac Performas and later the iMacs.

In 2008 Apple opened the iPhone SDK to developers, and a few month later Pangea was one of the companies invited to present their games at the WWDC keynote.  Their physics based puzzle game Enigmo became the very first iOS game to win an Apple Design Award, and they were the first developer to simultaneously have 5 apps in the Top 10 Paid Apps list.  Pangea continues to develop great games for iOS, and earlier in 2012 their hit multiplayer flying battle game Air Wings once again made it into the Top 10 list.

“I just wanted to give special thanks to all of our fans,” says Greenstone, “It’s our fans that have kept us going all these years, and we love hearing from all of you.  Your suggestions are what guide our development, so everything we do, we do for you.”

Pangea plans on releasing their next multiplayer game in early 2013.  For more information about Pangea Software, visit their web site at www.pangeasoft.net.

Jsdds2

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 01:06:03 PM »
Wow! Congratulations! Being able to survive 25 years as a viable, evolving, consistently innovative company in the software development biz is a GREAT accomplishment!
 I can remember looking across the sales floor at CompUSA and seeing the crowd around a MacG3 with a demo of Ottomatic playing on it. The Pangea graphics and music are so eye-catching its no wonder Apple wanted them bundled with each new computer!
I have an old G3 in the back at work that I just keep around to play Ottomatic on :-)
Good for you, Brian!
Jim

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 09:03:24 AM »
Today is the day!  We're 25!!!

-Brian

Ottobot

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »
Congrats Brian! And great video!