Author Topic: Are people still buying Bugdom?  (Read 9405 times)

Ottobot

Are people still buying Bugdom?
« on: January 20, 2011, 01:31:10 PM »
As well as Nanosaur and Mighty Mike?

Brian Greenstone, CEO Pangea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Are people still buying Bugdom?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 01:33:33 PM »
Yeah, and more than you'd expect.  We sell quite a few copies of all of them.  Nothing huge, but I mean several every week.  Dunno who's still running OS 9, but there are quite a few people stuck in the 1990's.

-Brian

Shmilblix

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 01:42:56 PM »
I wish there was some Wine thingy that could allow us to play these games...

Ottobot

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 02:30:10 PM »
Yeah, and more than you'd expect.  We sell quite a few copies of all of them.  Nothing huge, but I mean several every week.  Dunno who's still running OS 9, but there are quite a few people stuck in the 1990's.

-Brian
Probably for nostalgic reasons. I still have OS 9 running on my eMac to play these games. It's my only portal to the Classic Mac OS! I ain't ever throwing it out!

Also, old software and systems has become a real fad on the internet lately. In this case, it's probably because OS X Leopard and up as well as Intel Macs don't support Classic. There's a PowerPC emulator called "SheepShaver" that's being used by a lot of people to get Mac OS 7.5.2-9.0.4 to run on their Intel Macs. Unfortunately, SheepShaver doesn't support QuickDraw 3D for some reason, causing games like Bugdom and Nanosaur to crash. So obviously those games aren't being used on that system.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 02:34:46 PM by Ottobot »

djblastyfone

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 02:50:45 PM »
I wish there was some Wine thingy that could allow us to play these games...

The IFD ports of Bugdom and Nanosaur run pretty well in WINE/CrossOver, but they've got a few graphical issues and are limited to 640x480. Better than nothing, though.  :-\
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 02:55:47 PM by djblastyfone »

seriema

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 07:36:14 PM »
Hi Brian--

On a somewhat similar topic, is there any chance of making Bugdom open source so that people can modify, port, or enhance the game itself, but at the same time require that people still purchase the original version in order to get the data files?  I believe this is what Parallax Software did with Descent II, and id Software with Quake, and some of the enhanced, open-source ports (such as d2x-xl) are quite impressive.

If that wouldn't work, would you ever consider releasing copies of some of the editors used to create Bugdom and its levels (like you did with OreoTerrain for Nanosaur, and some texturing tools)?  I used to love creating custom levels for Nanosaur way back in junior high (even though I was awful at it) and always thought it'd be neat to be able to create Bugdom levels as well (ride the Water Taxi and dragonfly at different parts of the same level! ;D)  If you didn't use in-house tools to create characters or levels in Bugdom, could you possibly provide the names of the programs you used to do so?

Muel

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 03:11:19 AM »
I know some people are, I hope it will come out for intel Mac OSX's soon!
 :)

brningwyre

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 02:01:11 PM »
Yo, Muel:   Hell, yeah. I purchased Bugdom 2 and am running it on an iMac Intel i3 with OS 10.6.8. I've had no problems.